My own journey led me to write my book, Discovering Your Inner Child: Transforming Toxic Patterns and Finding Your Joy.
Inner Child Media
- Listen to Asha’s interview on Life Mastery Radio
Asha discussed the inner child with Todd Alan and Debby Handrich on their radio show. Click the link to hear the podcast.
- Inner child interview with Asha on Pathways
Paul O’Brien interviewed Asha on his Pathways radio show on KBOO in Portland, Oregon. Click the link to hear the podcast.
- Asha’s Inner child talk at Wy’east UU Church
A big thanks to NW Corazón for filming my talk at Wy’east UU Church in October 2010! Please click the link to view the video on Vimeo, including the children’s reading beforehand. We read Where the Wild Things Are, by Maurice Sendak, which is a terrific inner child work. My introduction to the inner child follows.
- Part of Asha’s Preface to Discovering Your Inner Child
This is the first part of the preface to my book, Discovering Your Inner Child: Transforming Toxic Patterns and Finding Your Joy. I write my own story largely to illustrate that healers do not enter the world fully healed. We all have our journeys, and there are times when we don’t have a clue or feel like we’ve hit a brick wall. And yet, we are healing. We are making progress. We can transform our lives. We can find our joy. May this give you hope.
About Your Inner Child
- Healing your inner child
Who is your inner child, and why do they need to be healed?
- Meeting your inner child: A meditation
Try this simple, but powerful meditation to see your inner child (or anyone else) in a new light.
- Inner child archetypes
Inner child archetypes can help you to understand and have compassion for your inner child. They are a tool that can help you recognize the patterns that do not serve you. This information comes from the revised and expanded edition of my book, Discovering Your Inner Child: Transforming Toxic Patterns and Finding Your Joy.
- Toxic parents
Many people have suffered from the effects of toxic parents, but many people are also in denial that they even have toxic parents. Yet, most emotional damage is caused by toxic parenting. If you think you might have issues with your parents, read this article.
- When God is a toxic parent
If we believe in a God who is a toxic, judgmental parent, we are living in fear.
- Why do I feel angry?
I believe that anger is one of the most misunderstood emotions, largely because we tend to think of it as “bad.” But what is it really trying to tell us about ourselves?
Blog Posts About the Inner Child
- 11 Signs of a Narcissist or Borderline Personality
- Darth Vader’s Daughter
- A Mother’s Love-Hate (or, More Tales of a Narcissist)
- My Father’s Inner Child
- Shame and Blue Fingernails
- Lessons in Humility
- When Gift-Giving is Toxic
- Brainwashing and the Inner Child
- “I’ll Try” and Other Forms of Self-Sabotage
- Life with a Narcissist
- When Old Pain Rushes In
Discovering Your Inner Child: Transforming Toxic Patterns and Finding Your Joy
by Asha Hawkesworth
Why do people tend to repeat patterns that make them unhappy? Why do we react the way we do? And why is it so difficult to let go of the past? Your inner child is your core emotional being, the “person” who runs your life when you least expect them to—or want them to. Your inner child should be a blessing, not a tyrant. This book helps you to understand your inner child so that you can begin to make new choices to change your life and find your joy.
The Anger Trap: Free Yourself from the Frustrations that Sabotage Your Life
by Les Carter
If you grew up with angry parents (whether rageful, passive-aggressive, or hidden), this book is for you. If your parents couldn’t handle their anger well, you didn’t learn how to, either. But there is hope. You can learn how to manage your anger and improve your relationships. This book can really help you understand and deal with your anger—and forgive yourself in the process.
Toxic Parents: Overcoming Their Hurtful Legacy and Reclaiming Your Life
by Susan Forward
Let’s face it: if we’re going to heal our inner child, we must face some truths about ourselves, and about our parents. Some parents are toxic, but those of us who were raised by them are sometimes slow to come to this realization. If you have a difficult relationship with your parents, you should probably pick up a copy of this. It can be very enlightening.
You Can Heal Your Life
by Louise Hay
- Alcoholics Anonymous—If you are an alcoholic, your first step in healing must be to get it under control.
- Al-Anon and Alateen—If your life has been affected by an alcoholic, particularly if they were your parents, start here.
- Narcotics Anonymous—If you are an addict, your first step in healing must be to get it under control.
- Out of the Fog—This is a forum that provides information and support for those with a family member or loved one who suffers from a personality disorder.